Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tollerance, Tea Party, or None Of The Above

This video has been making the rounds and is interesting on several levels.  I put it on my Facebook page and got several comments.

First, I'll have to admit, there's a fair bit of common sense truth in the video and is funny!  But, that said, when I thought about it a bit I found troubling.  It's not that the arguments it makes about the issues aren't reasonable, they are, but rather that in the end it turns to ridicule.  Now, it is certainly true that much of what the radical right says is ridiculous and easily subject to ridicule.  But does that make everything they say ridiculous?  I don't think it does.

Consider the "tax and spend" notion.  My marginal tax rate when I add up all the taxes I pay is slightly more than 50%.  No kidding!  Don't think so?  Just add up your state, federal, property, sales, and excise taxes and see where you land.  History teaches that when marginal taxes exceed somewhere between 30%  and 40% of income societies become unstable and ultimately fail.  Don't think it's happening here?  Go back and look at the video, consider the 215,000 people that showed up for the "Sanity" rally, or those that showed up for the "Tea Party."  Common sense wonders if that reflects stability?

So perhaps the radical right has is reasonable in some of their issues.  Common sense suggest that the cause of a civil society can best be advanced by being civil even when engaged in humorous ridicule.  Just a POV.

No comments:

Post a Comment