Monday, March 9, 2009

Medical cost part 2

My cold continued for some days and I finally decided to go see the doctor. It was, simply put, a classic example of why medical cost are high.

Part 1 - People involved 2 - 9AM call the doctor to schedule an appointment. Call Lahey. Get in call queue. Listen to advertisements for Lahey. Operator answers. Tell her I need to schedule appointment. Get sent to scheduling queue. Listen to more advertisements for Lahey. Doctor's scheduling nurse answers. Explain to her that I need to see doctor. She takes my name and callback number.

Part 2 - Total people involved so far 3 - Nurse calls back 2 hours later. My physician is not available so I agree to see someone else.

Part 3 - Total people involved so far 4 - Drive to Lahey. Park in their new 'pay to park' garage. Something about the notion is singularly offensive, but I've decided to put up with it. Go to doctor's office. Stand in line 15 minutes waiting for receptionist to deal with 3 people in front of me. By now I'm feeling very bad and wondering just how long I can stand up. Eventually see receptionist. Give her the copay. Wait in waiting room for 45 minutes after the scheduled apointment.

Part 4 - Total people involved 5 - Nurse eventually comes out and shows me to examining room. Leaves.

Part 5 - Total people involved 6 - Second nurse comes in. Takes my tempature and blood oxygen. Surprisingly, doesn't take my blood presure. Nurse leaves.

Part 6 - Total people involved 7 - About 10 minutes later doctor comes in and examines me. Perscribes different antiboitic.

Part 7 - Total people involved 11 - Drive to pharmacy. Stand in line. Get to head of line. Turns out it's the wrong line. Redirected to different line. Stand in line and turn in perscription. Clerk hands perscritption to one of pharmist. Pharmist fills perscription and puts perscription in tray. Third clerk picks up perscription. Pay for perscription. It is now 4PM.

So lets recap. In order to schedule an apointment, be seen, and get a simple perscription filled it takes 7 hours and involves 11 people! It set me to thinking about the way things worked 20 years ago when I saw a private practice physician. I'd call his office, speak to his nurse, and get scheduled. At the apointed hour I'd go to his office and be shown to an examination room. I'd see the doctor. He write a perscription. I'd take it to a small pharmacy (since driven out of business by a large chain pharmacy) give the perscription to the pharmacist. The pharmacist would fill it. I'd pay and leave. People involved 4. Lesson - complicated systems are both inconvient and expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment