Friday, October 1, 2010

Good news from Congress

In a fit of what apparently passes as good news from Congress our esteemed, I use that word with considerable tong in cheek, has decided to take up the pressing issue of the sound volume of TV commercials.  It's to high.  Now I'll have to admit that I've mixed feelings about this pressing issue. 

On one hand TV commercials are unbelievably loud.  Indeed, one of the motivators for my switching to only watching recorded TV is that I can skip the loud commercials.  So I agree that something should be done and since TV is regulated at the Federal level it needs to be a Federal action.  I'm not sure why Congress has to be involved as the FCC has considerable latitude under existing law, but what the hey, at least Congress is trying to do something.

On the other hand there is the problem of dealing with the truly important issues the country faces.  You know, things like, oh lets see, global warming, energy policy, extending tax cuts for the shrinking and struggling middle class, actually dealing with health care reform, promoting US jobs, etc. 

So it seems that Congress, having utterly failed to address the important problems facing the country, can take a crack at the irritants.  Perhaps this is what passes as common sense in our broken Congress.

No comments:

Post a Comment